Sunday, December 8, 2013

Blogger Gets Deep: On Living Honestly

I'm writing this at 2 in the morning because I've always been a big believer that midnight to 4 am are the most honest hours that we have. 4 am knows more of my secrets than any person ever will. I don't know what I'm really trying to say here, or whether I really even care for anyone to read it. But whoever you are, reading this, I'm going to beg of you to live the most honest life that you know how. I'm not sure what exactly 'honest' entails for you. Personally, I've always been a bit of an extremist. I feel everything deeply and have a lot of passion toward the things and people I care most about. I'd be willing to chase someone down in an airport and plead for them to stay at the last moment (in slow motion, of course. The more melodramatic, the better). I'd write you 365 letters (I wrote you every day for a year! It wasn't over! It still isn't over!), I'd essentially make my entire life into an epic novel if I could. I meet someone and almost immediately ask them what their biggest fear is, or what they think about their first name. It's so interesting to see how people react- they aren't used to anything like it. I feel that raw, unguarded emotion is beautiful. Whether it be joy or sadness, I believe that you should feel everything fully and not have any reservations about expressing it. I'm aware that many people have difficulty with this, and I've begun to realize that this doesn't mean that they DON'T feel, only that they are a product of a society that cuts the wrists off of anyone willing to wear their heart on their sleeve. I'm going to ask you to be honest anyway. Tell people that you love them, say it more often than you feel is necessary. Because that's the point of everything I'm trying to say- it's always necessary. Fuck being afraid of making a fool out of yourself. Cry over a dead animal that you see on the side of the highway (because that is heartbreaking, man. The worst part of driving on freeways). Laugh as loudly as you can at something funny, and don't care who
s watching. Become so excited about something that you're literally jumping and down, unable to contain it. Fight for what you love; fight for who you love. So many people are going to spend their whole lives wondering 'what if'. What if they had told that person how they felt, what if they had asked for that job promotion. Don't be that person. Be alive now, because you will be dead before you know it- I guarantee that. The other day, a good friend said to me: "What I do know is that there's bigger and better things in the world for girls with a mind like yours." I don't know who you are, and I don't know how your life is going or what's weighing on you currently, but I so strongly encourage you to take the time to completely and honestly feel whatever it is. There's so much more out there for you, too. Experience and feel all of it, and don't let anyone take away your ability to fall in love with everything around you and to bleed through others' wounds. Stay honest. It's not the easy way out, it's not the road most taken. But it's the only way that you will be able to say you're truly alive. Stay honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment